Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Course in Miracles for Barking Dogs? Peace be with You

Who lets their dogs bark?  Apparently lots of people, at least in my neighborhood.  I am the first to say I really don't enjoy watering my plants while being serenaded by the neighbors' dogs.  First I just figured they were getting accustomed to being in a new neighborhood but the ones behind me still bark after 5 years and the ones next door bark after two years.  Oddly, the owners are rarely inconvenienced enough to ask the dogs to be quiet.  I guess there are differing philosophies.  Some think it is better to let them bark until they quiet down on their own, which occurs once I give up my pursuit of outdoor activity and go back inside.  The others let them bark for ten minutes and then bring them in the house, training them to become a fifty-bark dog.

The Patron Saint of Dogs, St. Roch from Chris Hart Studio
I've tried quietly opening my door, tiptoeing outside hoping to be able to steal a moment of tranquility.  But no... a dog's ears are sharp enough to hear a mouse pass gas a mile away apparently.  They erupt in a cacophony of watch-dog style noise, snapping and chasing along the fence, needing to guard their master who is either still sleeping or left for work. After several years, one would think a guard dog could figure out who was a menace and who wasn't. 

I knew I had to do something with the way I was perceiving the barking dogs, since clearly the owner wasn't as candidate for doing their part.  I needed a Course in Miracles for Dogs.  I began looking for a saint that could help me out.  St. Francis, the Patron Saint of Animals seemed like he had more important things to do since he is in charge of all animals and there are lots of animals who need help.

In my research, I found St. Roch, Patron saint of Dogs.  St. Roch was stricken with the plague after healing many of those around him from it.  He went to die in a cave but was healed by a dog who brought him bread and licked his sores.  I sorta liked that but I couldn't see the neighbor dogs doing that for me.  However, I am going to pray to St. Roch, who is not only the Patron Saint of Dogs but the Patron Saint of Contagious Diseases.  I think his talents could be put to better use helping out with the Ebola problem, instead.

Next I discovered St. Hubert of Liege, Patron Saint of Archers, Dogs, Forest Workers, Trappers, Hunting and Huntsmen.  He often took long walks in the forest for both pleasure and hunting accompanied by his hounds.  That had a certain appeal because I pray that the neighbors might find it in their souls to walk their dogs so they would be too tired to bark at me the rest of the day.  So far no luck yet.


Maizey and Mary at 100
I don't remember there ever being a barking problem at our house on the ranch where I grew up with the procession of canines who lived with us. My mother truly loved animals, especially dogs.  She had a way with them, taming the frightened, the lost that showed up on our doorstep and the injured thrown out of a car.  Most of my mother's pets were other peoples' castoffs, throwaway pets, discarded by others, all rejects, some I'm sure because they barked too much.  She took them in, healed, fed them and in return was rewarded by a faithfulness and dedication beyond measure.  So I've decided to pray to my mom for her intersession with the neighborhood's barking dogs.  When it comes to animals, she exemplified a life of  "nothing hinders" and she lived with "heroic virtues", the first two steps toward sainthood.  Once a couple of miracles occur through her intersession, I expect the pope will declare her a saint.  It truly will be a miracle if they stop barking but like I said, she had a way with animals.    

            





          

3 comments:

  1. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up..
    acim lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I was reviewing this blog continuously, and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information especially this page. Thank you and good luck. acim video

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep praying for our family dog too. Being a young grown up he loves barking at all passerby in front of the house. A small noise from a rat antagonizes him, it becomes an ordeal with our ears ringing from it's loud barks. It's good to hope for miracles, St. Roch, pray for us.

    ReplyDelete